Reporting from Kiev Ukraine on the Stem Cell Therapy Process at EmCell

This Sunday I spent most of the day with Dr Karpenko, one of originators of the EmCell center and during the morning we both met with the clinicians who would carrying out the treatments on the patients. We reviewed medical histories and considered various stem cell mixtures to assist each patient with their individual needs. The families that came with me on this trip represent a diverse spectrum of challenges for the doctors – ranging from breast cancer (post chemotherapy) to autism, chronic fatigue syndrome, post traumatic injuries, and Lyme disease. The clinicians here have vast experience in treating many disorders.  They have treated an estimated 100 children with autism (mostly from Europe and far more than I realized) and I believe they have more experience than any stem cell therapy center in the World. Dr Nouytska is reported to be the first clinician to treat any human disease (type 1 diabetes) with stem cells over 20 years ago. All of her colleagues: including Dr Sych (the neurologist – with an appropriate last name), Dr Hemchuk, Dr Klunnik and the others were incredibly patient with our high need, high demand patients.  They were also very willing to learn from our clinical experiences with treating children with autism.  The administrative assistant Yuliia (“Eula”) was organized and extremely proficient as a translator.  She is also very passionate about stem cell therapies after her many years of work with EmCell and having seen so many benefits for the patients. Dr Karpenko with Joe (more on him to follow) hosted a traditional ethnic dinner with the families last night and Dr Karpenko patiently answered all of the parents very direct questions about stem cell therapies.

But none of this would be happening for these families right now if a big hearted American – Wisconsin born (Joe Maerske) hadn’t picked up the phone to talk to me about EmCell.  Joe did his job of lowering my fears about this – at least to me – unknown group of clinicians and researchers.  I am so glad he did.  He rightly called it: these are warm and talented people who will do all they can to help what can be helped with the tools they have (specialty stem cells).

First let me say that many people have very little knowledge of Kiev, and I will put myself in the category as well.  I have traveled all over western Europe, but this was my first trip to the central countries of Europe. So let me settle your curiosities and say Kiev is a modern city with one foot in the past and one in the future.  Infrastructure enhancement and new construction is going on everywhere. Despite this, many parts of the city (like many cities) are still in need of significant repairs and modernization.

The only problem I have in Kiev is the same problem I have faced in Thailand and China (the alphabet).  The Cyrillic alphabet is just different for me. I know enough Latin, French, German and Spanish to piece together most of my needs in western Europe, but the alphabet precludes me from doing that in Ukraine. However, we are guided through this process by wonderful people who are very skilled in English.  The drivers who transport us back and forth are always on time and some speak English but they know exactly where to escort us for treatment and they are always on time.   I will let the families give me comments to post (in the next few days) about this trip so you can know how their children with autism managed the long flight, time zones, the city and the treatments. But in summary they are all amazing their parents with how well they are tolerating the travel.

Below is a picture of my wife (Jennifer) taken yesterday from our hotel balcony in the old downtown area of the city. It is lovely and looks like any other modern city in Europe. I would have liked to post pictures about the hospital and the clinic, but I took those on my movie camera and left my cable at home.  So I will take my still camera tomorrow and give you more perspectives on the process.

I start off again with the families early in the morning so I will conclude this post by letting you know I had no immediate side-effects from the stem cells transplantation (implanting) I had today for my own loss of cartilage in my knee and my post disc injury nerve damage in my legs.  It will be an interesting test of the potency of these cells to see what my own progress is as well as that of the children with autism who are being treated at the same time.   More tomorrow if the Kiev Ballet performance of Swan Lake doesn’t take up too much time.  I hear it is every bit as good, if not better, than the Bolshoi in Moscow.

12 Responses to Reporting from Kiev Ukraine on the Stem Cell Therapy Process at EmCell

1. kathy says:

Hi Jeff, I am so excited about this research and am anxious to hear more about this stem cell program in the future. I would love for Kevin to be a candidate and to compare the protocol he has already had with this protocol. I can’t wait to hear more about your experiences!

2. Loraine Sim says:

Hi. I am so glad that you are taking the time to update us regarding your educational trip to Kiev. I look forward to you sharing this vital info with me and my sons, when we see you in Los Angeles. I wish you and the families safety and good health while there – and to your pretty and very nice wife, Jennifer.

3. AnnMarie says:

Thank you for giving us a play by play. I am excited to hear the story as this all unfolds.

4. Marilynn says:

Hi Dr. Bradstreet! I too am so glad that you have taken the time to let us know how it’s going. I cannot wait to see how things progress. I have already told my husband that a trip to Kiev may be in our future! I hope things continue to go well for all of you, safe travelling!

5. Kung says:

Thanks for sharing.. I am looking forward to hearing more.

6. Yuliya says:

Thanks for nice words about my colleagues and the work we do. It was our pleasure and honor to welcome you in our clinic and to learn so many new things from you. All the doctors are very interested in the new approaches to autism and developmental delay. Besides, now we have a bit deeper understanding why stem cells are so effective in autism -they boost the immune system and improve bowel function and digestion impaired in autistic children. We are looking forward to receiving feedback from you and the families. We are happy you made it well back home and wish you all the best with your work. Great to hear you liked Kiev, it has its own charm and we like it, and the colors are beautiful now, against the blue sky… Looking forward to welcoming more people!!!

• Thank you also for the opportunity to learn from your well-trained and highly experienced group of physicians. I will post some more today on my take on the mechanisms of stem cell action in the autism population.

7. Shannon Tara says:

Dr Bradstreet. I am so glad you are in Kiev learning about what Emcell is all about. I went to Emcell July 2011 I have to say our experience was very good. Our kids 7 and 8 with autism are getting better everyday. Kaden could not be in school full time before we went to Emcell, now he goes to school full time and is doing well . Kaden can also read now, he talks in full sentences asks question and answers questions. It is just amazing how much our lives have change since we went to Emcell. Jada and Kaden are much happier I think their quality of life is much better. It is nice to be able to chat with our kid now. shannontara@shaw.ca I am always happy to chat with other parent with kids with autism that want to know more. Shannon Tara

• This is wonderful to hear and very consistent with the reports from the doctors at the clinic. Our early responses are also good. I assume you don’t mind if I pull this out of comments and add it to a post. Thanks for the feedback.

• Shannon Tara says:

I am happy the talk about any aspect of the kids treatment . It really is amazing how much they have improved. I also had treatment , I was feeling extremely burned out from being a mom of 2 autism kids . We keep them on sugar free, gluten free, low starch diet , no colours, dies, organic food ,home grown eggs, only home grown meat we raise and only raw milk from our cows, So keeping them in good food seems to be almost a full time job in its self. So the treatment has given me lots of new energy I had not had in years. I am so glad I went for treatment too. Dr Bradstreet It is so great you went to Emcell , you can now spread the word. Shannon Tara BC Canada shannontara@shaw.ca